Embryo donation is a treatment in which the woman receives donated embryos. The embryos can be obtained by egg and sperm donation or obtained from other couples who have had success previously in reproduction in the past. This embryos come from couples that produced good quality embryos during their fertility treatment and decided to donate them to other couples.
Donated embryos must come from anonymous donors, this is established by law.
When is embryo donation recommended
CERAM’s medical team studies each case individually. They will study all the reproductive history and analitics done to determine if other kinds of treatment should be discarded and embryo donation is the best way to go.
There are some characteristics that are common in embryo donation programs. For example:
- Couples who have a wide history of infertility and that have tried many IVF treatments in the past without success
- Women without a couple, with an advanced reproductive age but with good physical and psicological health
- Women who have suffered repeated miscarriages
- Couples or women with risk of transmitting genetic diseasesli
Phases of Embryo Donation Treatment
An embryo donation treatment usually takes a series of steps during 2 weeks time. The process is the following:
- ELECTION OF DONOR EMBRYOS AND SCHEDULING
- Vitrified embryos are selected from all available embryos in which the donor has physical characteristics very similar to the woman that will be receiving them.
- Once selected, the receiving woman is prepared to start the treatment
- LABORATORY – DEVITRIFICATION AND FERTILIZATION PROCESS
- The embryos are devitrified (unfreezed) in the laboratory. The probability of survival of embryos after devitrification is about 93%
- EMBRYO TRANSFER
- The embryo transfer is done the same day of devitrification
- The embryos are placed in a catheter and they are introduced via the vagina to place them in the uterine cavity
- We recommend the patient to rest for 24 hours after the transfer and we will give her post-transfer recommendations
- EMBRYO VITRIFICATION
- The remaining embryos are vitrified to use them in a future cycle
- PREGNANCY TEST
- Between 7 and 12 days after the transfer, a blood sample will be taken to confirm if pregnancy has been archieved
In embryo donation treatments the age is a secondary factor affecting the possibilites of pregnancy. The number of embryos transfered is important for success. The success rate in embryo donation treatments at CERAM is approximately 55%.