Treatment: Frozen Sperm
In some circumstances freezing sperm is recommended.
In such cases, the sperm is frozen in a cryoprotectant medium which protects the sample against any damage during the freezing process.
in a cryoprotectant medium which protects the sample against any damage during the freezing process.
The sperm can be stored for many years and used in future fertility treatments.
Sperm can be frozen and stored for several reasons:
- When men are producing few sperm or it starts to deteriorate.
- For couples undergoing fertility treatment and the man has difficulty producing a sample on the day of treatment, his sperm could be frozen and stored in advance.
- For men who need surgical sperm retrieval (MESA, PESA).
- For men who undergo cancer treatment that may affect future fertility.
- For men who are planning to have a vasectomy.